Families are at the heart of MDA's mission. We wake up every morning to create more hope and answers for families living with muscular dystrophy and related diseases that take away physical strength and mobility. We do this by finding research breakthroughs across diseases, caring for kids and adults from day one and empowering families with services and support in hometowns across America.
MDA is using the money we raise to accomplish the following goals by 2020:
CURE: Double our research investment on drug development and clinical trials to bring more treatments and cures to families.
CARE: Provide care and support for 50,000 more families — a 50 percent increase over the number of families registered with MDA today.
CHAMPION: Fund 20,000 kids at MDA Summer Camp at no cost to families as we expand our offerings for young adults.
Here are the ways we’re helping achieve these goals so families can live longer and grow stronger:
Cure: Finding research breakthroughs across diseases to accelerate treatments and cures.
At MDA, we take a big-picture perspective across the full spectrum of neuromuscular diseases to uncover breakthroughs that accelerate treatments and cures. The power in our research approach is that we can often apply learnings from one disease to achieve progress in others to bring urgently needed answers to our families.
Here are some of our current highlights:
- Funding about 150 research projects around the world
- Awarded nearly 70 MDA research grants in 2016 with a total funding commitment of more than $16 million
- Contributed to dozens of clinical trials now underway
- In 2016, the FDA approved the first disease-modifying drugs to treat Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) and spinal muscular atrophy (SMA)
Care: Caring for kids and adults from day one.
We know that early diagnosis, highly specialized care and access to promising clinical trials help ensure the best possible outcomes for individuals and families facing muscular dystrophy, ALS and related life-threatening diseases. That’s why MDA is here to provide care for kids and adults from day one. Our MDA Care Centers offer families best-in-class, comprehensive care from a wide variety of health care specialists at one location on the same day, while our trained information specialists and educational resources are available to offer guidance and support through every step of the journey.
In 2016, we:
- Provided care and support to more than 100,000 individuals
- Offered best-in-class, comprehensive care at more than 150 MDA Care Centers in top hospitals and health care facilities across the U.S. and Puerto Rico
- Coordinated nearly 50,000 visits at MDA Care Centers, with families seeing multiple health care specialists in a single appointment
- Provided information to 3.4 million visitors on mda.org
Champion: Empowering families with services and support in hometowns across America.
From offering support groups and educational seminars to assisting families with durable medical equipment and giving kids with muscular dystrophy the best week of the year at MDA Summer Camp, MDA empowers families in hometowns across America with the help and support they need today.
Our impact last year:
- Launched a National Resource Center in July 2016, where MDA specialists provided one-on-one help to 10,000 individuals
- More than 3,000 gently used assistive devices provided to help kids and adults maintain mobility and independence
- About 3,800 kids experienced MDA Summer Camp at no charge to their families